United States Air Force
LT COL MICHAEL D. KING
A Joint Qualified Officer, Lt Col King’s staff assignments include tours at Headquarters United States Pacific Command, Headquarters, 17th Air Force, and Headquarters, United States Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa.
Lt Col King hails from Brooklyn, New York and is married to the former Ms. Erin May of Atlanta, Ga. They have three children: Caitlyn, Victoria, and Michael II.
1997 Bachelor of Science (with Honors) in Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology
1999 Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Central Flight Instructor Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2007 Air Command and Staff College Distance Education
2007 Master of Strategic Planning for Critical Infrastructures, University of Washington,
2008 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk Va.
2009 Marine Corps Command and Staff College (Distance Education)
2012 Air War College Distance Education Course (with Academic Excellence)
1. June 1997 - May 1998, Student Navigator, Pensacola NAS, Pensacola, Fla.
2. June 1998 - February 1999, Student Navigator, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. July 1999 - November 2000, Squadron Ground Safety Officer, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
4. December 2000 - March 2001, Mission Preparation Officer, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
5. April 2001 - June 2003, Tactics Officer, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
6. July 2003 - December 2004, Chief, Long Range Scheduling, RAF Mildenhall, UK,
7. January 2005 - August 2005, Chief, Navigator Training, Global Air Traffic Management, RAF
8. September 2005 - June 2006, Standardization and Evaluations Navigator, Robins AFB, Ga.
9. June 2006 - December 2007, Assistant Chief, Standardization and Evaluations, Robins AFB Ga.
10. January 2007 - November 2007, Chief, Standardization and Evaluations, Robins AFB Ga.
11. December 2007 - May 2008, Assistant Operations Officer, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. June 2008 - September 2009, Future Operations Planner, HQ USPACOM, Hawaii
13. September 2009 - September 2010: Joint Operations Center Operations Officer HQ USPACOM,
14. September 2010 - July 2011, Country Director for Russia and Mongolia, HQ USPACOM,
15. July 2011 - September 2013, Country Desk Officer for North Africa, HQ USAFE-AFAFRICA,
Ramstein AB, Germany
16. September 2013 - June 2014, Branch Chief, Africa Operational and Adaptive Plans,
HQ USAFE-AFAFRICA, Ramstein AB, Germany
17. July 2014 - September 2016, Commander, 337th Air Support Flight, US Embassy, Canberra,
18. October 2016 – August 2019, Deputy Commander, 782d Training Group, Sheppard AFB, Texas
19. August 2018 – August 2019, Deputy Director for Plans, 438 Air Expeditionary Wing / NATO Train, Advise, Assist Command – Air, Kabul Afghanistan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medals
Small Arms Marksmanship Award (pistol and rifle)
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 1997
First Lieutenant 1999
Lieutenant Colonel 2012
(Current as of April 2019)
Lt Col Michael King is the commander of Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC), Detachment 015, Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama. He is the Department Chair and Professor of Aerospace Studies, leads a cadre of instructors and support staff, and is responsible to recruit, train, and commission the leaders of tomorrow’s Air Force.
Lt Col King earned his commission in 1997 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps Program upon graduation from the Illinois Institute of Technology with a bachelor’s degree in computer science. He attained a master’s degree in Strategic Planning for Critical Infrastructures from the University of Washington, Seattle.
Lt Col King is a Senior Navigator with more than 1,100 hours in the KC-135 Aerial Refueling Aircraft. As a KC-135 Navigator, he was an Assistant Operations Officer and Chief, Standardization and Evaluations. He has flown combat and combat support missions in support of Operations NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. He also deployed in 1999 as Tanker Director, Combined Air Operations Center (CAOC), Vicenza, IT; in 2006 as Chief, C-130 Diplomatic Clearances CAOC at Al Udeid AB; in 2013 as Chief, Ankara Coordination Directorate for Operation NOMAD SHADOW; and from 2018-2019 as the Train, Advise Assist Command-Air, Deputy Director for Plans in support of the Resolute Support mission.